Summer asparagus & brown rice Salad with ginger dressing
- 120g brown rice
- 2 – 4 Asparagus spears
- 1 baby marrow, grated
- 100g white and / or purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- Handful of fresh rocket
- 50g almonds, roughly chopped
- Optional - 100g Pomegranate seeds
- Pinch salt & black pepper
- 1 tbsp black or white sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Juice & zest of 1 small lemon (or half a big lemon)
- Optional if you want a creamy dressing: add 1 tablespoon tahini or cashew butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch of salt & black pepper
- Rinse the brown rice in a sieve until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a pan with three times the amount of water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare your vegetables. Grate the baby marrow, and thinly slice your cabbage and rinse your rocket.
- Add asparagus to some salted boiling water – and cook until tender (1 – 3 minutes – try not overdo these, they're great when they are nice & crisp)
- Once done, chop the asparagus into 2 cm pieces and add them to a large mixing bowl along with the other raw chopped veg and your roughly chopped almonds.
- To make the dressing place all the ingredients into a food processor or nutribullet and blitz until smooth.
- Mix your rice with your prepared veggies & almonds, tip onto a large serving platter, pour over your dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds and pomegranates.