Let’s focus on immunity for a moment.
As we live through this Pandemic we want to give our bodies the best possible chance to fight off illness, and the main thing that we can focus on is what we put into our bodies.
Viral infection can be halted or modulated by lifestyle and nutritional influence.
Through diet we can prevent entry of the virus by creating a healthy and strong gut; reduce the risk for replication of the virus keeping the viral load low which controls symptoms and modulate (or balance) the immune system. We don’t want it to overreact or to under react as this will cause more exacerbated symptoms.
Some steps in boosting your immune system start here.
Let’s start with gut health:
- 28 out of 33 clinic trials showed that taking probiotics can control respiratory infection
- 70-80% of your immune system resides in the gut
- Fibre is vital as it feeds the healthy flora (i.e. keeps the probiotics that you are taking alive)
- Healthy gut flora produces short chain fatty acids which control the pH in the gut and prevents inflammation. this prevents translocation of the virus into the system.
- The gut works appropriately when secretory IgA in the mucosa is produced correctly, this happens when a colourful healthy diet full of vegetables are consumed, exercising regularly and by living a stressless lifestyle.
Some microbiome builders:
- Bone Broth.
- Probiotics: kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, yoghurt, miso, facto-fermented veggies.
- Prebiotic foods: onions, leeks, garlics.
Zinc prevents replication of the virus and can be found in beef, oysters, lamb, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews; an interesting side note: Chloroquine (which has been trialled as a cover treatment) seems to enhance cellular uptake of zinc. Low zinc serum is associated with loss of smell, which is one of the symptoms of COVID).
Besides supporting supplements, here are some basic steps for supporting your immune system:
- Focus on whole foods.
- Eat a variety of colourful foods.
- Aim for 6-10 cups veggies daily.
- Have at least 3 servings of wild fish per week.
- Snack on berries, nuts, seeds and veggie juices.
- Enjoy a variety of fats - so that you get a complete omega 3 and 6 spectrum.